Please note: I’ve updated this post for 2020! You can find the update here.
There are plenty of places to submit short fiction, as you can see from a quick scroll through Submittable, but it hasn’t always been so easy to find the perfect home for your shorts that truly fall under the YA umbrella, so here are five journals accepting short YA fiction.
- YARN (Young Adult Review Network) As the Poetry Editor at this journal, I’m a little biased, but I absolutely love the stories we publish, which have included several award-winners over the years.
- Lunch Ticket is the Antioch University literary journal, and accepts YA submissions. I might also be biased in being a fan of Lunch Ticket, since they recently published my YA short story in verse, “Car 393.”
- Hunger Mountain This is the VCFA literary journal, and accepts YA regular and contest submissions.
- Cicada Magazine Like YARN, Cicada publishes exclusively for the YA audience.
- Foreshadow: A Serial YA Anthology This new endeavor is headed up by Nova Ren Suma and Emily X. R. Pan. Along with work from established authors, they plan to publish new voices as well.
Any other favorite journals out there that accept YA submissions? Please feel free to share in the comments!